Fixing a Dark PS4 Screen
Dark PlayStation 4 displays are a significant hassle and make it difficult to play games or watch your favorite shows. So, what causes a dark PS4 screen, and what can you do about it?
Dark PS4 screens can be caused by ‘Cinemoda Mode’, Auto Brightness on the TV, or even Power Save Mode. Adjust the brightness by pressing and holding the PS Button on your controller, then clicking ‘Adjust Settings and Brightness.’ You’ll need to troubleshoot further if the issue persists.
Don’t panic if your PlayStation 4 screen keeps going dim or isn’t bright enough. A dark screen isn’t an uncommon problem on the PS4, and it’s straightforward to resolve. Let’s take a look at everything you need to know to fix it.
Why Is My PS4 Screen So Dark?
Dark screens on the PlayStation 4 when playing your favorite game or watching Netflix can be frustrating. Luckily, dark PS4 screens are a common issue with simple explanations.
Some of the reasons why your PS4 is so dark can include the following:
- The Picture setting is on “Custom” or “Cinema.”
- The “Power Savings” mode is active and on Low or High.
- You have an “automatic brightness control” setting enabled on your TV.
- There’s an issue with your HDMI cable.
Screen brightness issues are typically caused by picture and brightness settings. For instance, “Custom” or “Cinema” settings on the PS4 can lower the brightness. “Power Savings” mode can also automatically adjust the display, depending on the settings.
Otherwise, your TV might be the culprit and have automatic brightness control, a setting that adjusts the display depending on the light in the room.
How Do I Brighten My PS4 Screen?
Your display’s brightness settings might have been changed by accident or by random settings. Fortunately, adjusting the brightness on your PlayStation 4 is straightforward.
Here’s how to increase the brightness of your PlayStation 4 display:
- Click and hold the ‘PS Button‘ on your DualShock Controller.
- The Quick Menu should appear. Click and drag the brightness slider to the right to increase the display levels. Adjust the slider until you reach your desired settings.
This is the fastest method for adjusting the PS4 brightness. Let’s take a look at what you can do if your display is still dark.
How to Turn Off Automatic Brightness Control
Many TVs come with an “eco” setting, otherwise known as “energy saving mode” or “automatic brightness control.” Features like these automatically adjust the display’s brightness depending on the ambient light levels of the room. Although this can be helpful, it can be equally frustrating when you don’t realize it’s active.
The exact instructions will vary depending on your TV, but here’s a general guide to give you a better idea of what to expect as you disable the setting.
Follow these steps:
- From the Home Screen, navigate to the Menu.
- Next, navigate to ‘Settings.’
- Find a section like ‘General and Privacy.’ Select ‘Power and Energy Saving.’
- Lastly, choose ‘Brightness Reduction‘ and disable the feature. Save your choices to finish.
Remember that these are general instructions. Consult the owner’s booklet or manufacturer’s website if you’re unsure how to disable automatic brightness control on your TV.
How to Turn Off Power Save Mode
Another feature on the PS4 that means well but often causes irritation is “Power Saving” mode. Power Saving mode can be helpful for reducing energy consumption and extending the battery of your console. That said, it can dampen the display depending on the settings.
Here’s how you can disable Power Saving Mode on the PlayStation 4:
- Launch the Settings on your PlayStation 4.
- Next, choose ‘System Settings.’
- Find ‘Eco Options‘ and adjust the ‘Power Saving‘ feature to ‘Normal.‘ Confirm your choices to finish.
More Ways to Troubleshoot a Dark PS4 Screen
Don’t panic if none of the methods above fixes your problem. There are more troubleshooting methods available for dark PlayStation 4 screens. Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can resolve your issue.
Restart Your Console
The PlayStation 4 can encounter minor software bugs and issues that can be resolved with a reboot. Restarting your console should be the first troubleshooting method you use. Here’s how:
- Click and hold the Power Button until you hear a second beep from the PlayStation 4. The console should turn off completely.
- Next, unplug the power cable from the PlayStation 4. Wait 30 seconds.
- Plug the power cable back in and turn on your console.
Move on to the next troubleshooting solution below if the dark screen persists.
Change the Resolution in Safe Mode
Adjusting the Resolution in Safe Mode can resolve the PlayStation 4 black screen of death or dark display. Safe Mode allows you to perform diagnostics with less risk as the device runs in its basic state.
Here’s how you can adjust the Resolution in Safe Mode on your PS4:
- Turn off the PlayStation 4.
- Click and hold the Power Button and wait for two beeps.
- Now, press the PS Button on your DualShock controller to start your PlayStation 4 in Safe Mode.
- Choose Change Resolution from the Menu and hit ‘OK.’
- Your console will restart. After it reboots, select the Video Output Resolution and confirm your choices.
Adjusting the resolution on your PS4 can resolve dark display problems. Move on to the following troubleshooting method if your issue persists.
Adjust the Contrast and Color Saturation
The contrast and color saturation on your PlayStation 4 can affect the brightness levels. Here’s how you can adjust them:
- Launch the Settings on your PlayStation 4.
- Scroll until you see ‘Sound and Screen‘ and select it.
- Navigate to ‘Video Output Settings.’
- Find the RGB Range settings and click ‘Full.’ Confirm your choices to finish.
Adjusting the contrast and color saturation might help with your display issues. You can play around with the settings until you reach your desired results. If your problem persists, move on to the method below.
Use a Different HDMI Cable
In some cases, the HDMI cable or port can affect your display’s brightness levels. Inspect the cable and port for any damage. Make sure the cable is plugged in securely and see if that resolves the issue.
You can also try a different HDMI cable if you have an extra one lying around. If not, you can find new HDMI cables (on Amazon) readily available online.
But what if you notice damage on your PlayStation 4 HDMI port? You’ll need to have your console inspected by a technician. If your PS4 is under warranty, contact the vendor or PlayStation Support for additional assistance.