Once you’ve got your Apple AirPods set up, there’s not a whole lot you need to do to use them on a regular basis. You can simply place the wireless earbuds in your ears and they’ll instantly turn on. So, what’s that little white button on the AirPods case for?
The button on the back of the AirPods charging case has two functions: Pressing and holding will trigger the AirPod’s pairing mode, for use when connecting to BlueTooth devices. Pressing and holding for a long time will reset the AirPods and then trigger pairing mode.
You may not need to use the button on the back of the AirPods case very often, but it’s still good to know what it does in case the need ever arises. Let’s take a look at its functions and and how to use it properly.
What Does the Button on the Back of an AirPods Case Do?
Apple AirPods are well-known for their sleek, minimal design and seamless wireless experience. You can even charge the charging Airpods equipped with charging cases without any wires via the Apple MagSafe Charger (on Amazon).
Setting up your new AirPods (on Amazon) the first time doesn’t require pressing any buttons or connecting the AirPods to your iPhone with any sort of cable.
But when you unbox the AirPods for the first time, you might notice a small button on the back of the charging case. This button might not seem very useful as you get started with your AirPods, especially if you’ve already got them paired with your phone or computer. So, what’s it for?
The button on the back side of the charging case of AirPods is a setup button. Its purpose is to connect the AirPods to another iOS or non-iOS device. Another function of the back button is to reset the connections of the AirPods.
The back button makes it easier for users to connect with different devices. For example, what if you want to connect to your MacBook but your AirPods keep connecting with your iPhone instead? In this case, the back button comes in handy.
However, for those who don’t connect their AirPods with multiple devices, the back button is quite useless. Some users may go through the whole lifespan of their AirPods without using the back button.
How to Use the Button to Connect With Other Devices
In fact, it makes connecting with different devices much more convenient. Let’s take a look at how to use it properly to connect to new devices:
Step 1: Disconnect from the Main Device
Before connecting the AirPods with another device, you have to disconnect them from the previous device. Make sure that the device’s Bluetooth is turned off, otherwise the AirPods will automatically connect with it as soon as you take them out of the charging case.
Here are the steps to perform this:
- Go to the settings of your main device and find AirPods in the Bluetooth devices list.
- Click on ‘Forget Device.’
- After that, you can pair the AirPods with another device using the back button. The main device won’t interrupt the connection.
Step 2: Place AirPods in the Case
After disconnecting with the main device, place the AirPods back in the charging case. Close the lid of the charging case and let the AirPods turn off. Wait for a few seconds before initiating setting up with another device.
Step 3: Initiate Setup
While the AirPods are in the charging case, press and hold the back button. Wait until you see a yellowish-white light blinking on the charging case a few times. This indicates that the device is ready to pair.
Step 4: Connect With Another Device
Turn on the Bluetooth of the device you wish to pair the AirPods with. When the connection of AirPods is live, you will see the AirPods under devices in the Bluetooth. Pair the new device with the AirPods and your new connection is successful!
How to Use the AirPod Case Button for Resetting
The back button on the AirPods charging case is a reset button as well. You can use it to disconnect the AirPods with all the previous devices and establish new connections.
This process is similar to forgetting a device from your iPhone’s Bluetooth list. The only difference is that the AirPods will forget all the devices.
To reset the AirPods through the back button on the case, follow the steps given below:
- Disconnect the AirPods from the iPhone by turning off the Bluetooth of your phone.
- Put the AirPods in the charging case and close the lid.
- Let the AirPods turn off automatically by keeping them in the case for a few seconds.
- Press and hold the button for 2-3 seconds and wait until the yellowish light appears on the charging case.
- Keep holding the button until the yellow light turns white. Once white, the reset is complete and the AirPods are ready to connect to a new device.
How to Use the AirPod Case Button for Pairing
The AirPods case button is used to pair with different devices. It also enables connection with non-iOS devices like Android phones and Windows laptops.
Let’s see how you can connect the AirPods with both iOS and non-iOS devices using the back button.
The back button is convenient when you need to connect the AirPods with another iPhone. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Disconnect the AirPods from the previous iPhone.
- Place the AirPods in the charging case.
- Turn on the Bluetooth on the other iPhone you wish to connect the AirPods with.
- Hold the back button of the charging case and let the yellowish light turn white.
- Bring the charging case near the iPhone.
- Go to the Bluetooth settings in the iPhone and select ‘AirPods.’
If you use the same Apple ID for MacBook and to set up AirPods through your iPhone, you can connect it through the volume settings, without any setup. Locate the volume button in the menu bar and select your AirPods to connect with them.
Another method is given below:
- Turn on the Bluetooth on your Mac.
- Place the AirPods in the charging case and wait until they turn off.
- Press and hold the back charging case button until white light appears.
- Select ‘AirPods‘ from the Bluetooth devices on Mac.
- Click on ‘Connect‘ and you’re good to go.
Use AirPods with Android devices as wireless headphones and enjoy the fun experience. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Activate Bluetooth on the Android device by using the sliding the menu from above.
- Press the back button of the AirPods case while the AirPods are inside it. Wait for the yellowish light to turn white.
- Place it near the Android device and connect to it through Bluetooth settings.