Dell Laptop Power Light Flashing Orange Then White (Explained!)
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dell computers indicate issues by light blinking or flashing. So, when a Dell laptop power light flashes orange then white, it signifies several issues. Usually, the orange(amber) blinking is related to the battery. It signifies an issue with the battery charging. Your Dell computers communicate through a series of blinks and beep to signify specific problems.
Why is my Dell laptop power light flashing orange and white?
Whenever your Dell laptop power flashes orange then white, it could be a problem with the battery, CPU, microchips, or even memory, to mention a few. Each problem comes with unique interpretations and solutions. So learn to interpret the flashing and beeping every time before you make a move.
The good news is that the amber and white flashing is not a complex problem. You can fix it yourself by following a few prompts. The important thing is to know how to interpret the flashing/ blinking.
Once you identify the problem, you can easily procure a lasting solution. Keep reading to uncover the specific solutions based on the interpretations made. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to diagnose and fix most of these issues without paying a technician.
What are the Different Meanings of Dell Laptops flashing orange and White?
The cause of your Dell laptop’s power flashing orange and then white depends on the number of each flash. So, count the number of flashes of the orange and then the white. It will help you deduce the underlying problem.
Pay attention to the number of flashes of each color. This is significant since it helps you tell or interpret correctly what the laptop is communicating. Again, it is very significant to get it right since this is what determines the solution you will provide.
The good news is that it is not difficult to get the correct interpretation. Below are the different interpretations you should know.
- 2 orange/ amber and 1 white flash means a possible CPU failure
- 2 orange and 2 white flashlights may indicate a BIOS ROM failure. This system failure error could mean ROM error, Bios corruption, or both.
- 2 amber and 3 white flashings mean a memory issue. It could be No RAM or memory is being detected.
- 2 amber and 4 white flashings could be a memory problem. However, it could be a RAM/ memory failure.
- 2 amber and 5 white flashings indicate potential memory issues where an invalid memory has been installed.
- 2 amber and 6 white could be an indication of a chipset issue. The problem may be with the system board or a chipset error.
- 2 amber and 7 white flashings signify potential LCD failure problems.
- 3 amber and 1 white flashing may mean RTC power failure. It could be a failure of the CMOS battery.
- 3 amber and 2 white lights flashing signify a video or PCI problem. It may be a video card, PCI failure, or a chip failure.
- 3 amber and 3 white flashings may signify a BIOS recovery 1 error. Usually, the recovery image may not be found.
- 3 amber and 4 white flashings are most likely a BIOS 2 error. The recovery image may be found in this case but will be invalid.
The list of potential problems and solutions described above clearly indicates that the diagnosis of the issues follows a pattern. Therefore, you must be careful to know what to look for. Check out the problem, read it correctly, and interpret it for a competent solution.
Please pay close attention to the blinks’ rhythm since they indicate the issue. Not all solutions work for all cases, so it is best to be precise. However, more often than not, the orange and white flashing is often caused by battery charging failure.
Dell Laptop Power Light Flashing Orange Then White (EXPLAINED!)
Several steps or processes can help you comfortably solve the amber-white light flashing on your Dell laptop.
Below are some of the common solutions for battery-related flashing.
Drain All the Energy Out
The only way to drain all energy out of your Dell laptop is to reset the laptop hard. Do this as follows:
- Have all the peripherals disconnected from your device
- Next, have the charger disconnected
- Disconnect or remove the battery from your computer
- Hold while pressing the power button for at least 30 seconds
- Reconnect the battery and charger to the computer
- Press the power button to turn on the laptop
Reinserting the CMOS Battery
The CMOS error can also cause the orange and white flashing. If this is something you suspect to be the case, consider removing the CMOS battery and later reinserting it to help get rid of any errors. To do this:
- Switch off the laptop
- Use a screwdriver to open the back of the dell laptop in a way that exposes the motherboard
- Identify the CMOS battery and remove it, then wait ten seconds before inserting it back correctly.
- Reassemble/ closeup the laptop
- Turn on the laptop
Replace Your Dell Charger
More often than not, the dell laptop develops the blinking problem from overuse or a damaged charger. Unfortunately, some chargers keep working even when they have gone wrong. Consequently, they trigger such errors.
To fix this, you may need a new charger. Try a different charger, preferably an updated one, and see if it makes any difference.
Checking the RAM and RAM Slot
You may not know this, but it is possible that one of the laptop’s RAMs or a slot in it could be faulty. To figure out which could be problematic, remove the entire RAM. Next, install each component after the other, checking to see if something is off.
You will know when a RAM or its component is faulty when your laptop fails to come on after inserting it. Once you identify the faulty RAM, put the correct RAM back in its slot and figure a way of replacing the one that has gone bad. Then, the issue will be fixed.
Work on Eliminating Dust
Most people do not know this, but your Dell laptop accumulates dust over time. DependingDepending on how long you have used it, you may have to deal with performance issues. A large amount of dust can cause serious complications to your laptop.
If you notice a lot of dust accumulation or live in an area with lots of dust, it is best to have your laptop cleaned regularly.
Figure out how to get the right tool to help you get rid of the accumulated dust in your computer fast enough. Ignoring this dust will create many problems in the future, including the orange and white flashing.
Several tools can help you get rid of accumulated dust in your laptop. However, the best trick would be to have it checked by an expert since they have all the tools necessary for cleaning laptops.
In the end, before you fix your laptop flashing light issue, it is essential to understand what could be the problem. Don’t rush to attempt a remedy or fix that may not work or worsen the problem. Instead, understand what the patterns/ sequence of the flashing lights indicate and diagnose the problem first.
Once you figure out what could trigger the flashing light, attend to it immediately. Most of these problems are not as complex as we assume.
Popular Content Just For You
If you found this article about the light color on your Dell laptop, these three articles may be helpful to you as well!