If you don’t like your current Xbox Gamertag, you may want to know if you can change your Gamertag on the Xbox app. Your Gamertag is a big part of your online gaming identity, so you should pick one you’ll be comfortable using for a while. Xbox only allows you to change your Gamertag once for free, so you should give it plenty of thought before changing it.
Table of Contents
- How do you change your Gamertag on the Xbox app?
- Should I Change My Xbox Gamertag?
- What Are Other Ways I Can Change My Xbox Gamertag?
How do you change your Gamertag on the Xbox app?
You can change your Gamertag on the Xbox app through the app’s help page about changing your Gamertag. The help page contains a link to a page on the Xbox website that lets you change your Gamertag. You’ll need to log in with your Microsoft account to make the change.
To be clear, there is currently no option to change your Gamertag in the Xbox app itself. There is only a link in the app that goes to the Xbox website page where the actual Gamertag change occurs.
If you have already changed your Xbox Gamertag once, you will be required to pay a fee to change it again. You must also have no restrictions on your account that prohibit you from making Gamertag changes.
Should I Change My Xbox Gamertag?
Throughout my gaming life, I’ve had numerous Gamertags that were extremely different from one another.
Some of my Gamertags represented personal information about myself such as my city, favorite number, nickname, and so forth.
Other Gamertags were basically random names I conceived out of thin air or read from parts of an advertisement I happened to see on television at the time.
There is really no right way to come up with a Gamertag name on Xbox or any other platform.
Your Gamertag selection is basically a personal preference that carries whatever meaning you want it to have.
However, you should try your best to adhere to common sense, Xbox policies, and even possible laws that could punish you for using offensive or other restricted wording in your Gamertag.
Though it’s rare and not something I’ve heard of happening, you could potentially be hit with a copyright, trademark, or another intellectual property claim if you use certain wording that legally belongs to a company or person.
Aside from issues with the Gamertag wording, you should also consider the possible monetary requirements involved with changing your Xbox Gamertag.
It might not seem far to some people, but Microsoft will likely charge you for changing your Xbox Gamertag more than once.
If your circumstances are considered out of the ordinary, it wouldn’t hurt to contact the Xbox team at Microsoft to see if they can process your Gamertag change for free.
Based on Microsoft’s existing policies, I don’t get the feeling they’ll be lenient about fees when it comes to Gamertag changes.
One part of Microsoft’s Gamertag policy basically states that even if your first Gamertag change was performed involuntarily, you will still be charged for having your Xbox Gamertag changed a second time.
Before you set your Gamertag for the first time, you should know that gamers in certain countries will not be able to change their Xbox Gamertag at all.
Even if you are willing to pay whatever fee they charge for Gamertag changes, you won’t be able to change your Xbox Gamertag if you’re in a restricted country.
If you are wondering whether changing your Gamertag will add value to your gaming experience, personal brand, or streaming value in some way, I’d say it doesn’t really matter too much.
If you are a video game streamer that wants to build an audience and gain more subscribers and views, I think what matters most is your gaming abilities, personality, and overall entertainment value to viewers.
What Are Other Ways I Can Change My Xbox Gamertag?
Aside from using your Xbox app to link to the Xbox website to change your Gamertag, there are other ways you can change your Xbox Gamertag online.
Other common ways to change your Gamertag include using your Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox 360, or directly through the Xbox website (without linking from the Xbox app).
You can change your Xbox Gamertag through your Xbox One, Xbox Series X, or Xbox Series S by following these directions:
- Sign in to your Xbox console and go to the guide by tapping the Xbox button on your controller.
- Navigate to Profile & system and choose your current Gamertag.
- Go to My profile and select your Xbox Gamertag within Customize profile.
- Go beneath Choose your Gamertag and input the new Xbox Gamertag in the text field. Gamertags must not exceed 12 characters in length and cannot begin with a number.
- Select the Check availability button. If you see a message that says the Gamertag isn’t available, you should try inputting another Gamertag.
- You will be able to confirm your new Xbox Gamertag by choosing Change Gamertag.
Changing your Xbox Gamertag on an Xbox 360 involves different steps.
You can change your Xbox Gamertag through your Xbox 360 by following these directions:
- Go to the Social section on your Xbox 360.
- Sign in to your console by going to Sign In or Out.
- Go to the right where it says Settings and choose Profile.
- In Edit Profile, go to Gamertag.
- Enter your new Gamertag where it says Enter New Gamertag. Your new Gamertag must not be longer than 15 characters.
- Once you have entered a valid Xbox Gamertag, choose Done to go to the final step.
- Finalize your Gamertag selection by choosing Yes.
Instead of going through the Xbox app to link to the Xbox website, you can go directly to the Xbox website to change your Gamertag.
Here are the steps to change your Xbox Gamertag through the official Xbox website:
- Go to the Choose your new Gamertag page on the Xbox website.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account and make sure the Gamertag you want to change is shown somewhere on the page.
- Input the new Xbox Gamertag in the text field and choose Check availability. Your Gamertag cannot be longer than 12 characters.
- After you enter a valid and available Gamertag, confirm your new Gamertag by selecting the Claim it button.
You should note that some details in the above processes may be changed by Xbox in the future.
I think it’s unlikely the steps will be changed much if they are changed at all.
If none of the online methods for changing your Xbox Gamertag work for you, you should contact the Xbox team and Microsoft to see if there are any issues with your account.
If you involuntarily had your Gamertag changed, that will likely have counted as your one free Gamertag change.
The cost to change your Xbox Gamertag more than once varies depending on where you live, but the fee is generally around $10 per change.
That’s probably not too expensive for most people that can afford an Xbox console that costs hundreds of dollars, but since fees can quickly add up over time, you should try to pick a Gamertag you’ll like for a while.
Even if you are willing to pay any fees related to changing your Xbox Gamertag more than once, Microsoft account holders in certain countries may not be allowed to change their Gamertag.
Regardless of the method you use to change your Xbox Gamertag, your new Gamertag will now be updated throughout the Xbox network.