Why Is My PS4 Controller Light Pink?
The PlayStation 4 comes with several unique features, including the light indicator bar that appears on the console’s DualShock 4 controller. The controller flashes various lights to indicate different things about the device and your gameplay. But what does a pink glow on your PS4 controller mean?
The pink PlayStation 4 light usually means you’re the fourth player in a game. That said, some games use the light bar to indicate different aspects of gameplay, such as low health status or the level you’re currently at. Typically, the pink light doesn’t indicate software or hardware issues.
So, there’s no need to panic if your PlayStation 4 controller is glowing bright pink. Let’s take a closer look at what the color indicates and how it varies by game. We’ll also look at what some of the colors mean, so that you can play without an issues.
What Does the Pink Light Mean on a PS4 Controller?
The PlayStation 4 DualShock controller (on Amazon) glows in different colors like blue, green, and pink. The colors vary depending on the game you’re playing, what you’re doing in the game, and whether you have multiple controllers connected.
For example, while playing GTA 5, your controller will flash red and blue if the police are chasing you. In other games, like Tomb Raider, the controller will flicker red and orange when you pick up a torch.
The pink PlayStation 4 light typically means you’re the fourth player in a game, but certain games will utilize the light indicator bar in other ways. You may need to check the specific game’s manual for further information.
Does the Pink Light Have a Different Meaning Depending on the Game?
Yes, the pink light on the PlayStation 4 DualShock can have a different meaning depending on the game you’re playing. Typically, the pink glow on the indicator bar signifies the fourth controller synced, as we mentioned above.
Games like Destiny use various lights to signify different in-game events, like low health status or charged abilities. Other games, like Killzone, use red and green lights to indicate health levels. Lastly, some titles, like Fortnight, use different colors depending on how many players are in the lobby.
How to Change the Light Bar Color on Your PS4 Controller
The first player light on the PlayStation 4 DualShock is typically blue, but it’s possible to swap it to other colors, like red, green, and pink. Here’s how:
- First, hold down the PS Button on your DualShock controller. Navigate down to ‘Power‘ and choose ‘Switch User.’
- You will need four different users to select from to access all the colors. If you don’t have four users, select ‘Create a User‘ to make a new one. The new user doesn’t have to be linked to the PlayStation Network.
- To establish the color you want on your PS4 controller, you need to log into the account signed into the designated color. Afterward, switch back to your main account to keep your chosen color.
What Do the PlayStation4 Controller Colors Mean?
The light indicator bar on the PS4 DualShock primarily signifies which player is connected, as follows:
- Player 1 – Blue
- Player 2 – Red
- Player 3 – Green
- Player 4 – Pink
However, the light bar is also used to represent various processes in the device, like if the controller is charging or the battery is low. Some games utilize the light bar for in-game events like low health or special abilities.
How to Fix a Flashing Light on Your PS4 Controller
Flashing lights on a PlayStation 4 controller can indicate several different problems. Software bugs, hardware issues, incompatibility errors, and problems with the power supply are a few to keep in mind.
Fortunately, you can use several troubleshooting methods to resolve flashing lights on the PS4 DualShock. Let’s take a look at some of the most common solutions below.
Restart Your PlayStation 4
The first troubleshooting method is always a reboot. A simple restart can typically resolve minor software and hardware issues. Here’s how:
- Turn off the PlayStation 4 by holding the Power button for 10 seconds. You can also use the Quick Start Menu to turn off the console.
- Disconnect the power cable from the PlayStation 4.
- Wait roughly 3-5 minutes before plugging the power cable back in.
- Use the PlayStation button on the DualShock to turn the console back on.
If the flashing light persists, you’ll need to move on to one of the troubleshooting methods below.
Reset Your PS4 Controller
Flashing lights on the PlayStation 4 can indicate pairing issues. Manually resetting the controller can resolve the problems. Here’s how:
- Flip your PlayStation 4 controller over. You should see four screws on the backside.
- Locate the hole next to the upper right-hand screw to find the Reset button.
- Click and hold the Reset button for five seconds. A paperclip, toothpick, or similar tool works well.
- Reconnect your PS4 controller and see if it turns on or charges.
Resetting your PlayStation 4 controller can resolve minor bugs and issues. However, you’ll need to move on to the troubleshooting methods below if the problem continues.
Update the Software
Most PlayStation 4s have automatic software updates enabled. That said, a manual software update can resolve minor bugs and issues, like a blinking controller light or even a dark screen. Here’s how to update:
- Launch the Settings from the Home Screen of your PlayStation 4.
- Next, select System Software Update.
- Choose Update Now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and select Next. Wait for the update to finish downloading. You’ll see the license agreement screen once the update is finished.
- Accept the software update.
- Now, the software patch should start to install. Your PS4 may reboot throughout the update.
After the update is finished, you can restart your console and see if the flashing light issue is resolved. If not, move on to the following method below.
Replace Your Controller or Cable
Sometimes, the issue is caused by the DualShock 4 controller, not the console. Inspect your controller and the cable for frays, cuts, or damage. If you notice damages or other troubleshooting methods haven’t worked, you might need a replacement.
You can purchase replacement cables (on Amazon) for the DualShock 4 or a compatible Android charging cable.
You’ll know the issue was the old cord if the light swaps to blue or orange when you use the new cable. Alternatively, you can buy a new DualShock 4 controller (on Amazon) to resolve the issue altogether.