The PS4 controller is renowned for its unique and advanced features, making it a standout game controller in today’s market. This versatile tool not only enhances your gaming experience but also offers durability and customization options to suit your preferences.
The PlayStation 4 comes with several unique features, including the light indicator bar that appears on the console’s DualShock 4 controller. This light bar changes colors during gameplay, serving various purposes. The controller flashes various lights to indicate different things about the device and your gameplay. But what does a pink glow on your PS4 controller mean?
Why is the light on my PS4 controller pink?
The pink PlayStation 4 light usually means you’re the fourth player in a game. That said, some games use the light bar to indicate different aspects of gameplay, such as low health status or the level you’re currently at. Typically, the pink light doesn’t indicate software or hardware issues.
So, there’s no need to panic if your PlayStation 4 controller is glowing bright pink. Let’s take a closer look at what the color indicates and how it varies by game. We’ll also look at what some of the colors mean, so that you can play without an issues.
- The light bar on the PS4 controller indicates different players during multiplayer games.
- If your PS4 controller displays a pink light, it means you are player number four.
- Other PS4 controller colors have specific meanings: red for player number two, blue for player number one, and green for player number three.
- The light bar can also change colors to indicate danger, injury, or health status in certain games.
The PlayStation 4 DualShock controller (on Amazon) glows in different colors like blue, green, and pink. The colors vary depending on the game you’re playing, what you’re doing in the game, and whether you have multiple controllers connected.
For example, while playing GTA 5, your controller will flash red and blue if the police are chasing you. In other games, like Tomb Raider, the controller will flicker red and orange when you pick up a torch.
The pink PlayStation 4 light typically means you’re the fourth player in a game, but certain games will utilize the light indicator bar in other ways. You may need to check the specific game’s manual for further information.
Understanding PS4 Controller Colors and Their Meanings
The light bar on your PS4 controller serves as a helpful indicator, particularly in distinguishing between players during multiplayer games. Each player is assigned a specific color, allowing for easy identification. If your PS4 controller emits a pink light, it indicates that you are player number four in the game.
Now, let’s explore the meanings associated with other colors displayed by the PS4 controller’s light bar:
Controller Red Light
If your PS4 controller emits a red light, it signifies that you are player number two in the game. Additionally, in certain games such as Grand Theft Auto, a red light may indicate danger or a critical situation that you are facing. It can also represent injury or significant damage in games like Call of Duty.
Controller Blue Light
A blue or pale blue light indicates that you are player number one in a multiplayer game. The blue light should persist throughout the game. However, be aware that some games, like Uncharted or Alien Isolation, may alter the controller light color based on specific events or actions within the game’s storyline.
Controller Green Light
A green light on your PS4 controller signifies that you are player number three in the multiplayer game you are playing. In certain games like KillZone, a green light may also indicate your character’s health status, representing decent health.
Controller White Light
If the LED display on your PS4 controller turns completely white, it means that you have lost connection with the console. To resolve this issue, press and hold the PS button for approximately 10 to 15 seconds, and the light bar should turn blue, indicating a successful reconnection. A flashing white light may indicate low battery or a dying battery. In such cases, it is recommended to promptly connect the controller to a USB cable charger.
Yes, the pink light on the PlayStation 4 DualShock can have a different meaning depending on the game you’re playing. Typically, the pink glow on the indicator bar signifies the fourth controller synced, as we mentioned above.
Games like Destiny use various lights to signify different in-game events, like low health status or charged abilities. Other games, like Killzone, use red and green lights to indicate health levels. Lastly, some titles, like Fortnight, use different colors depending on how many players are in the lobby.
The first player light on the PlayStation 4 DualShock is typically blue, but it’s possible to swap it to other colors, like red, green, and pink. Here’s how:
- First, hold down the PS Button on your DualShock controller. Navigate down to ‘Power‘ and choose ‘Switch User.’
- You will need four different users to select from to access all the colors. If you don’t have four users, select ‘Create a User‘ to make a new one. The new user doesn’t have to be linked to the PlayStation Network.
- To establish the color you want on your PS4 controller, you need to log into the account signed into the designated color. Afterward, switch back to your main account to keep your chosen color.
Flashing lights on a PlayStation 4 controller can indicate several different problems. Software bugs, hardware issues, incompatibility errors, and problems with the power supply are a few to keep in mind.
Fortunately, you can use several troubleshooting methods to resolve flashing lights on the PS4 DualShock. Let’s take a look at some of the most common solutions below.
The first troubleshooting method is always a reboot. A simple restart can typically resolve minor software and hardware issues. Here’s how:
- Turn off the PlayStation 4 by holding the Power button for 10 seconds. You can also use the Quick Start Menu to turn off the console.
- Disconnect the power cable from the PlayStation 4.
- Wait roughly 3-5 minutes before plugging the power cable back in.
- Use the PlayStation button on the DualShock to turn the console back on.
If the flashing light persists, you’ll need to move on to one of the troubleshooting methods below.
Flashing lights on the PlayStation 4 can indicate pairing issues. Manually resetting the controller can resolve the problems. Here’s how:
- Flip your PlayStation 4 controller over. You should see four screws on the backside.
- Locate the hole next to the upper right-hand screw to find the Reset button.
- Click and hold the Reset button for five seconds. A paperclip, toothpick, or similar tool works well.
- Reconnect your PS4 controller and see if it turns on or charges.
Resetting your PlayStation 4 controller can resolve minor bugs and issues. However, you’ll need to move on to the troubleshooting methods below if the problem continues.
Most PlayStation 4s have automatic software updates enabled. That said, a manual software update can resolve minor bugs and issues, like a blinking controller light or even a dark screen. Here’s how to update:
- Launch the Settings from the Home Screen of your PlayStation 4.
- Next, select System Software Update.
- Choose Update Now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and select Next. Wait for the update to finish downloading. You’ll see the license agreement screen once the update is finished.
- Accept the software update.
- Now, the software patch should start to install. Your PS4 may reboot throughout the update.
After the update is finished, you can restart your console and see if the flashing light issue is resolved. If not, move on to the following method below.
Sometimes, the issue is caused by the DualShock 4 controller, not the console. Inspect your controller and the cable for frays, cuts, or damage. If you notice damages or other troubleshooting methods haven’t worked, you might need a replacement.
You can purchase replacement cables (on Amazon) for the DualShock 4 or a compatible Android charging cable.
You’ll know the issue was the old cord if the light swaps to blue or orange when you use the new cable. Alternatively, you can buy a new DualShock 4 controller (on Amazon) to resolve the issue altogether.
How to Dim PlayStation 4 Controller Lights
The lights on your PS4 controller serve as game indicators during multiplayer gameplay, with each color representing a specific player. However, if you find the controller lights too bright for your liking, you have the option to dim them according to your preferences.
To dim the lights on your PS4 controller, follow these simple steps:
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu on your PlayStation 4 console.
- Select “Devices” from the menu options.
- Within the “Devices” menu, choose “Controllers.”
- Look for the option to adjust the brightness of the light bar.
- Select your preferred brightness setting from the available options, such as “Medium” or “Dim.”
By adjusting the brightness settings, you can customize the light bar to a level that suits your needs and enhances your gaming experience. Remember to save your changes before exiting the menu.
With these easy steps, you can personalize the lighting on your PS4 controller and create a gaming ambiance that aligns with your preferences. Enjoy gaming with just the right amount of illumination!
The light bar serves as a visual indicator, with pink indicating player four, red representing player two and possible danger, blue symbolizing player one and potential in-game events, and green denoting player three and health status.
By adjusting the brightness settings, players can personalize their gaming ambiance and create a comfortable environment tailored to their preferences.