If you’re going on vacation but want to play your PS5 during your downtime, you may be wondering how you can set up your PS5 using the hotel’s Wi-Fi and whether it’s possible.
The good news is that it is certainly possible to connect your PS5 to the internet, even if you’re on hotel Wi-Fi.
Read on to learn what steps you can take to easily connect your PS5 during your hotel stay.
How to Connect Your PS5 to the Hotel Wi-Fi
Connecting your PS5 to hotel Wi-fi should be as easy as connecting it to your home Wi-Fi. Go to Settings, then Set Up Connect, then Wi-Fi. You’ll need your phone to authenticate the connection, but once that’s done, just enter the Wi-Fi login credentials and you should connect.
In more detail, all you need to do is:
- Go to Settings: The first thing that you’ll need to do is to go to your PS5 settings. You should find the settings in the top-right corner. Once you’ve selected the settings icon, navigate to the Network settings.
- Set up Connection: Once you’re under Network settings, you should see an option that says, “Set Up Connection”. Select this.
- Select Wi-Fi: Once you’ve clicked on “Set Up Connection”, a page should pop up that enables you to select your Wi-Fi network. Select the Wi-Fi of the hotel you’re staying at. It’s important to note that another box should pop up, which says “How to Authenticate”. You will need to authenticate from your phone.
- Connect Your Phone: In order to authenticate, you will need to connect your phone to your PS5. To do this, open your phone and look for the wireless network that your PS5 uses. Click on it. The following box should ask for a password.
- Enter the Password: Use the designated Wi-Fi password and connect.
Does the PS5 have its own Wi-Fi?
Yes, the PS5 does have its own Wi-Fi.
In fact, the PS5 comes with a Wi-Fi 6 network card. This card supports 2×2 MU-MIMO wireless transfers and Bluetooth.
This means that your PS5 has the capability of connecting to Wi-Fi without any need for modification.
However, it’s important to note that the PS5 must still go through a router to connect to the internet.
If you would like to access online features, your PS5 will need to connect to a local network connection, such as at a hotel.
Why am I still having issues connecting my PS5?
Have you tried connecting your PS5 to the hotel Wi-Fi and are still having issues? While this can be frustrating, there are a few reasons why this may be happening.
If your PS5 isn’t connecting to the hotel’s Wi-Fi, one of the first places to start is by checking whether you have the correct password.
It’s not uncommon to input an incorrect Wi-Fi password, which could be the reason why you can’t get a connection.
Once you’ve ensured that your password is correct, try your connection again.
Your PS5 Needs a Restart
If you’re sure that your password is correct, the next thing that you can try to do is to restart your PS5.
Sometimes, a lack of connection is just due to the need for a quick reboot.
When you’re restarting your PS5, be sure that you’re not just putting your PS5 in rest mode.
Rest mode only places your PS5 into a low-powered sleep mode, which enables you to still download and install game updates.
To troubleshoot your connection, a restart will be necessary.
I’ll show you how you can restart your PS5 with both the disc version and digital version of the console.
To restart the disc version of the PS5, all you need to do is:
- Press and hold the bottom button of the two available buttons.
- Hold this button for a few seconds
- Release the button once you’ve heard two beeps
To restart the digital version of the PS5, all you need to do is:
- Press and hold the button (this should be the only available button)
- Hold this button for a few seconds
- Release the button once you’ve heard the two beeps
Regardless of whether you have the disc console or digital console, it’s important that you hold the button until you successfully hear two beeps.
If you’ve released only after one beep, then this means that your console is in rest mode.
There’s a DNS Error
Another potential problem that your console may be facing is a DNS error.
A DNS error occurs when you are unable to connect to an IP address via a domain name.
In this case, you will need to change the DNS settings on your PS5.
You can change your console’s DNS settings by doing the following:
- Navigate to your console’s settings
- Select “Network”
- Once you’re on the Network page, select settings again to go to your Network Settings
- Choose, “Set Up Internet Connection” to bring up a list of available networks
- Go to the current network you’re using and click on it
- Then, select “Advanced Settings”
- Select “DNS Settings” and set it to manual
- Make any necessary changes
In some cases, your PS5 may not be connecting due to a router issue.
It’s a possibility that you are not located close enough to the router, which could be causing a poor connection.
On the other hand, the issue may be that everyone is trying to connect to the router at the same time.
Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do about these two occurrences if it is the case.
Your best option is to periodically check the connection to see if you can get your console to connect to the hotel’s Wi-Fi.
Can I still play my PS5 if the connection is unsuccessful?
If you are unable to get your PS5 to connect to your hotel’s Wi-Fi, you’re not out of luck.
The good news is that it is still possible to play your PS5 games, even without an internet connection.
While you may not be able to take advantage of everything your console has to offer, you can play single-player games from a disc or patch downloads as these do not require an internet connection.
You can also play downloaded games offline if you have set your console as the main console on your PlayStation account.
Are you preparing for a trip and looking forward to getting some gameplay in? Connecting your PS5 to hotel Wi-Fi should be quite simple.
If you’re having trouble connecting, there are a few ways you can troubleshoot that should help you make a connection.