For the AirPods users out there, have you ever thought of pairing two different AirPods? Or what would you do if you had two different AirPods? The big question becomes, can you use two different AirPods at once? If you are wondering if this is possible, stick around as the article addresses such a situation.
Table of Contents
- Can Two Different AirPods Work Together?
- How Do I Pair Two Different Airpods?
- What should you consider before buying a replacement pair?
- Did You Really Lose It?
- Compatibility of the Airpods
- How Do I Connect Two Airpods to One iPhone
- Connect Two Airpods to a Mac
- Closing Thoughts
Can Two Different AirPods Work Together?
You can always replace a single Airpod and use a different AirPod than originally came with the pair. If you happen to lose one of the pairs, simply buy a new one from your closest Apple retailer. The new AirPods must be of the same generation as the current one you had.
To pair them, you have to put both sets of AirPods in your case, that is, the new and current AirPods. You should ensure that the lid remains open. Hold down the button which is at the back of the case.
This would reset both pairs of AirPods. They would then sync and be able to function as one.
How Do I Pair Two Different Airpods?
Pairing two AirPods is as straightforward as pairing one. It is not as complicated as it sounds. The following steps should be followed when pairing:
- Both headphones should be placed inside a rechargeable case.
- The case lid should remain open, and you should check the status light. The light should be amber.
- From the back of the case, press and hold down the button for about five seconds. The status light should flash and change in color. It should change to white. If it remains in amber, close the lid and power the case by connecting it to a charger and leave it for about 15 minutes.
- Open the lid with the AirPods inside and hold them next to your device.
- A setup animation will pop up on your device, and you should join.
What should you consider before buying a replacement pair?
There are certain things that you should be aware of before ordering a replacement pair.
With this in mind, the process will be much easier, and you would not waste much of your resources.
Did You Really Lose It?
As soon as we don’t know where we placed our wireless headphones, many of us quickly buy a new one.
This is because of the minor nature of the AirPods. Once lost, it becomes challenging to locate them.
At other times, you have not lost the AirPods, and ordering a replacement is simply not economical. Before ordering a new one, you should consider locating it through the Find my iPhone application.
This is a feature by Apple to find your devices. It would be able to identify the missing earbud. This is as long as it is within your Bluetooth range. The range is not often the issue.
You can backtrack to the last time you had the AirPods. You will be able to find the missing pair quickly.
Even if you happen not to see it, you can use the Find my iPhone feature to find it after backtracking.
Compatibility of the Airpods
AirPods from a different Airpods generation cannot match. You have to know the model and generation your AirPods belong to.
For example, AirPods from the first generation cannot connect to those from the 2nd generation. The main reason for this is they have different chips.
The W1-chips power the 1st generation chips. The 2nd generation is, on the other hand-powered by H1-chips.
You should be keen while making a replacement purchase. The same case applies to AirPods pro and AirPods Max.
Each generation is independent of the other. You can only pair AirPods from the same era. Knowing the generation of your AirPods is not a difficult task.
You simply have to:
- You should know the model number of your AirPods. You can find this after connecting your AirPods to your iPhone. This is after the pairing process is already complete.
- Locate the settings application and navigate to Bluetooth
- You should see your AirPods on the list of devices.
- Tap the info button beside your AirPods. It will show the model number.
The steps above are, however, only applicable if your device has iOS 14 or above.
If this is not the case for you, try:
- Navigating to the settings application and go to general.
- From here, go to about my device.
- You should then scroll down to see the name of your AirPods and tap to see the model number.
You can use the model number to identify the AirPods that you have.
There are four different generations. The 1st generation has the model numbers A1523 and A1722. They were first introduced in 2017. The 2nd generation was the successor of the first and was launched in 2019.
They have the model numbers A2031 and A2032. The AirPods Pro was launched in 2019. They have the model numbers A2083 and A2084.
The AirPods Max was the latest launch. This happened in 2020, and they come with model number A2096.
When making an order for a replacement, you should do so from Apple’s official website. This is because they can provide the best match by using your serial number.
It is located inside the case of your AirPods. With the information, Apple will send you a compatible AirPod replacement.
How Do I Connect Two Airpods to One iPhone
Before the introduction of iOS 13, connecting two AirPods to one iPhone was impossible. With the later versions of the software, this is, however, possible.
This is because of the introduction of the audio sharing feature. It enables you to connect two AirPods to one iPhone and listen to the same audio.
The initial step would be to pair the two AirPods to your iPhone.
To do this, you should:
- Unlock your device and open the case of the AirPods next to the iPhone
- You would see a connect animation pop up on your iPhone
- Click the connect, and it would display the percentage of your AirPods. This would mean that the pairing was successful.
- You should tap on done and can use the first pair.
For the second pair, the steps would be unique.
- Ensure that the Bluetooth of the iPhone is enabled. Also, make sure that the AirPods are close to your iPhone.
- Open the lid of the AirPods case, and your iPhone should be able to identify the device. It should be able to detect that the AirPods trying to connect is not yours. A notification would pop up indicating the same.
- Click the connect button at the back of the case to ensure your AirPods are in pairing mode.
- As soon as the pairing is complete, it would display on the iPhone and the status light of the AirPods.
Connect Two Airpods to a Mac
Sometimes we might wish to connect two AirPods to our MacBook. This is also possible.
You might be watching a movie with a friend who has their pair. This will give you the best experience of the film.
Below are steps that would help you achieve this:
- You should start by pairing the two AirPods to the Mac.
- From your Mac, navigate to the system preferences. From there, locate the sound, then go to the output.
- You can then set the volume of each pair independently. This can be of your choice. Once you opt for dual listening, you can’t change the volume individually.
- Next, open the finder and search for the Audio Midi setup. You should then open it.
- At the bottom left corner, you should see the “+” sign. Click on it to create a Multi-Output Device.
- To make the AirPods distinguishable, you should rename them. To do this, you should navigate back to the multi-Output device menu and click on the name to see the option of renaming.
- You can now select the new output device sound system from the sound system preferences or simply from the volume menu.
Using two different AirPods on one device is very much possible. The left AirPod can be from one set and the other from another set. This is because you can buy a replacement set of the same generation as the one you had. In other homes, there might be several people using their AirPods.
It is easy for things to get mixed up. The main thing you’ll have to do is pair again. If they are both in a charger with their lid closed, they will pair and work as one. In conclusion, you should understand the steps when pairing two different AirPods.
This can be paired to your iPhone or your Mac. This is much possible and a solution to several problems.