Can You Connect An Oculus Quest 2 To A PS4 Or A PS5? Solved!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoy gaming with VR headsets, you might want to know if you can connect an Oculus Quest 2 to PS4 or PS5. There are many awesome gaming experiences within the VR world, but I think games that are purely VR don’t have the robust gameplay of most PlayStation games. Pairing an Oculus headset with a PlayStation gives me benefits from both worlds.
Table of Contents
- Can you connect an Oculus Quest 2 to A PlayStation 4 or 5?
- Is It Fun To Play PlayStation Games With An Oculus Quest 2?
- How Do I Connect An Oculus Quest 2 To A PS4 Or PS5?
- What Are Other Methods For Connecting Oculus Quest 2 To PS4 Or PS5?
Can you connect an Oculus Quest 2 to A PlayStation 4 or 5?
Though you cannot connect an Oculus Quest 2 directly to a PS4 or PS5, you can use PS Remote Play to connect through a computer indirectly. There are several apps you can install on Oculus and your computer that can enable exciting gameplay with your VR headset and PlayStation.
Since PlayStation has their own VR headset, it’s understandable that Oculus headsets can’t connect to PlayStation consoles. Hopefully that changes in the future, but at least there are workaround methods we can use to make them work together today.
Even if you’re not into VR gaming, playing PlayStation games with a VR headset like the Oculus Quest 2 can significantly boost your gaming experience. When I play standard console games through a VR headset, I often feel like I’m playing in a huge movie theater with a colossal screen.
Is It Fun To Play PlayStation Games With An Oculus Quest 2?
People with little to no experience playing with a VR headset might think the gaming experience is confusing and nauseating.
That can be true for some people, but I find gaming with a VR headset to be highly immersive, engaging, and loads of fun.
Compared to older VR headsets, the Oculus Quest 2 improved the VR experience many times over.
With VR gaming’s much improved visual quality, I often feel like I’m actually in the world of the game I’m playing.
If you like playing games on a PS4 or PS5, I don’t see why you wouldn’t like playing PlayStation games with an Oculus Quest 2.
You can play with a standard PlayStation game controller and don’t have to worry too much about learning new controls.
I know it can be discombobulating to put on a VR headset that blocks your view of the real world, but once you get used to that gaming environment, you should feel as comfortable gaming with the VR headset as you are without it.
To make playing PlayStation games on VR easier, you can use a gaming environment that works like a video chat background.
For instance, you can add a movie theater environment that places the game screen on a movie theater screen.
Usual elements of a movie theater-like tall curtains and rows of seats are also present in the environment.
If that is too far-fetched for you, you can pick a familiar environment like an apartment living room with a standard flat-screen television.
Using a gaming environment like this makes me feel like I’m playing PlayStation games at a friend’s place.
When the weather is pleasant in my actual house, it’s nice to be able to play in a virtual environment and see nice weather outside the virtual room’s windows.
How Do I Connect An Oculus Quest 2 To A PS4 Or PS5?
Since PlayStation does not provide an official way to connect an Oculus Quest 2 to a PS4 or PS5, we have to use a workaround to make the VR headset work with our console.
It seems evident that many players want to be able to connect their VR headsets to standard gaming consoles since there are many tools available today to enable the connections to be made.
One of the most common applications you can use to connect an Oculus Quest 2 to a PS4 or PS5 is Virtual Desktop.
Virtual Desktop is a paid app that can be purchased and downloaded from the Oculus platform.
This application will be used with other applications to let you view your PlayStation gameplay on your computer through your Oculus Quest 2.
Before we get too far, let’s go over the complete steps for using Virtual Desktop to connect your VR headset to your PlayStation.
Follow these instructions to play PS4 and PS5 games through your Oculus Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop:
- Download and install the Virtual Desktop application for your Oculus Quest 2.
- Download and install the Streamer app for Virtual Desktop to your computer.
- Run the Streamer app on your computer.
- Log in to the Streamer app with your Oculus user information.
- Download and install PS Remote Play to your PC or Mac computer and create a shortcut to the app on your desktop.
- Enable PS Remote Play on your PS4 or PS5 console, by first going to Setting on the PlayStation home screen.
- Go to System.
- Go to Remote Play.
- Toggle the switch to activate Enable Remote Play.
- To enable PS Remote Play when your PlayStation console is in rest mode, you’ll need to make it available in rest mode by first going to Settings.
- From Settings, go to System.
- Go to Power Saving.
- Go to Features Available in Rest Mode.
- Activate the option that says Stay Connected to the Internet.
- Activate the option that says Enable Turning on PS5 from Network (or Enable Turning on PS4 from Network).
- To play and save games with your primary PlayStation account, create a second PlayStation account to add a DualShock game controller.
- Connect your Oculus Quest 2 to your computer.
- Load the Virtual Desktop app in your Oculus Quest 2.
- Select your computer from the selection window.
- Once you see your computer desktop through the Oculus headset, load PS Remote Play by selecting the shortcut you added to the desktop.
- Select your PlayStation console from the selection window.
- Once the PlayStation screen appears, tap the PlayStation button on your game controller and log into the account you do not use for Remote Play.
- Use your secondary account to activate your primary PlayStation account (the one used for Remote Play).
- Tap the PlayStation button.
- Navigate to the home tab in the menu bar to load the PlayStation home screen.
Those were quite a few steps compared to standard procedures to set up a video game.
Though it might seem complicated due to its many steps, each step is actually quite straightforward and easy to execute.
Once you do most of the above steps, you won’t have to do all the steps again when you want to play your PS4 or PS5 again through your Oculus Quest 2.
What Are Other Methods For Connecting Oculus Quest 2 To PS4 Or PS5?
Though the above method of using Virtual Desktop is one of the more common ways to connect an Oculus Quest 2 to a PlayStation, there are other applications and physical accessories you can use to make the connection.
These other methods might have drawbacks including more lag and latency, diminished video quality, and higher computer processing demands.
An application you can use that doesn’t require as many steps to connect is called Sidequest.
With Sidequest, you basically just install the software on your computer and use it along with PS Remote Play.
If you decide to use Sidequest, you’ll need to go to your PlayStation settings and do the following:
- From Settings on your PlayStation, go to Remote Play Connection Settings.
- Select Add Device.
- Take note of the code that appears.
- Download and install the Sidequest app on your computer.
- Connect your Oculus headset to your computer, click the TV icon, and enter the code.
- Select your PlayStation in Sidequest and select Connect.