Many potential customers are not impressed with the two hours of gameplay that the Oculus Quest 2 offers. So, can you play Oculus Quest 2 while charging? Ideally, if you are playing video games on an Oculus Quest 2, you do not want to cut your gaming time short due to constantly needing to plug your Oculus headset back in to charge. The same goes for watching movies or streaming one of your favorite series on Netflix, HBO Max, or Disney+. It kind of ruins the mood if you need to pause the movie in the middle of watching it because you need to plug your headset in. However, there is some good news for Oculus Quest 2 users who primarily charge their headsets using a USB-C charging cable.
Table of Contents
- Is it safe to use the Oculus Quest 2 while it’s charging?
- Charging the Oculus Quest 2 during gameplay versus watching movies
- Can you use a charging station and still use the Oculus Quest 2?
- Benefits of using an Anker charging dock for the Oculus Quest 2
- Pros and cons of charging Oculus Quest 2 during use
Is it safe to use the Oculus Quest 2 while it’s charging?
If you charge the Oculus Quest 2 headset with a USB-C cable, then yes you can still use your headset while it is charging. If you are watching movies or streaming a series, your headset should continue to slowly charge while in use, but if you are gaming, you may continue to lose battery power.
It is important to note that the only way you can use the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset while it is charging is if you are using a USB-C charging cable. If you use a docking station to charge your Oculus Quest 2 headset, then you will not be able to play and charge at the same time.
This is why you may want to consider purchasing a longer USB-C charging cable to give you some more freedom of movement when you are charging your headset and using it at the same time.
Let us take a look at some of the reasons why even though you can charge the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, sometimes it is not the most optimal way of charging depending on how you are using your headset. Additionally, what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of charging your headset while it is in use? We will answer these questions and more.
Charging the Oculus Quest 2 during gameplay versus watching movies
The main reason there is a striking difference between charging during gameplay versus watching movies is that gaming on an Oculus Quest 2 virtual reality headset requires much more power than simply watching a movie or streaming a television series.
If you charge your headset while gaming, then most likely the battery life will still deplete, however, it will go down at a much slower rate than if it was not plugged in at all. When it comes to watching movies and streaming, there is a good chance that your battery will be able to charge while you are watching, however, the battery will charge at a much slower rate.
In General, Oculus recommends not charging your headset while you are using it, and instead, they recommend taking other actions to prolong the life of your battery and minimize charging time. That being said, many users still use their Oculus Quest 2 while it is charging and have not experienced any serious problems because of it.
Can you use a charging station and still use the Oculus Quest 2?
If you are using a docking station to charge your headset and hand controllers, then you will not be able to charge and use the headset at the same time at all. Although you may not be able to use the Oculus Quest 2 and hand controllers when they are secured to a docking station, there are still many positive aspects of using the Anker docking station to charge the Oculus Quest 2.
Additionally, many people do not recommend gaming with the Oculus Quest 2 headset while it is charging because of battery fatigue and other potential negative consequences that may develop over time. More on the pros and cons of charging the Oculus Quest 2 during use later.
For now, let us look at some of the reasons that many Oculus technicians and professionals recommend using the Anker charging station.
Benefits of using an Anker charging dock for the Oculus Quest 2
If you purchase the Anker charging station to charge the Oculus Quest 2, you may not be able to use the headset and hand controllers while they are charging, however, there are many more great benefits that you can enjoy. When you first purchase the Anker charging station the box will come with a charging station stand made up of a headset and controller mount stations.
Additionally, you will receive two rechargeable batteries for the hand controllers and a USB-C charging cable to plug the docking station into an electrical outlet.
Why do so many people recommend the Anker charging station for the Oculus Quest 2? Here is a breakdown of some of the benefits of using a charging station rather than a USB-C charging cable.
- Comes with rechargeable batteries for the hand controllers and custom covers that allow for the batteries to be charged any time the controllers are placed in the docking station.
- Batteries are good for up to 500 charges before they may need to be replaced, greatly reducing battery waste.
- The Anker charging dock will automatically power off once the headset is fully charged helping to protect the internal battery.
- The Anker charging dock provides a safe place to store the Oculus Quest 2 when it is not in use.
- All components fit snuggly into the charging dock and can be easily removed for instant use.
Pros and cons of charging Oculus Quest 2 during use
Even though you can charge the Oculus Quest 2 while you are playing a game or watching a movie, it doesn\t mean you should in every situation. There are some instances where it may not be a smart idea to charge the headset while you are using it, however, there are also some instances where the potential negative consequences are minimal.
Also, some of the general advantages that users experience when they choose the Oculus Quest 2 over other virtual reality headsets available on the market are taken away when you want to charge the headset while you are using it.
For example, one of the biggest advantages of the Oculus Quest 2 is the fact that it is cordless. Many of the other VR headsets currently available come with a squirrel’s nest of cords that can get tangled, limit movement, and potentially cause damage to the headset or injury to the user if a cord is ripped out during use or if the user trips on one of the cords. Charging the Oculus Quest 2 headset while using it then defeats the entire purpose of having a wireless headset with wireless hand controllers.
Here are some of the other pros and cons of charging the Oculus Quest 2 while you are using it.
- Allows you to play games for a long time without interruptions. This is good for long-form RPG games.
- Allows you to watch movies or stream a television series without interruptions.
- When watching movies, the internal battery will slowly gain charge.
- When playing games, the internal battery will lose its charge at a much slower rate than if not plugged in.
- Decreases range of motion.
- The Oculus Quest 2 is no longer cordless and the entire VR experience is changed.
- May require the purchase of an extra-long charging cable.
- Can cause the Oculus Quest 2 headset to overheat which can cause irreparable damage.
- It may cause battery fatigue and degrade the overall performance and health of your battery causing it to not hold a charge or take much longer to charge to full power.