How To Factory Reset A Sonos Move In Seconds
One of the best portable speakers on the market is the Sonos Move. However, one may encounter problems that may require you to reset the device. Like any other portable speaker system, you may encounter various problems when using the Sonos Move Speaker. One of the most effective ways of solving most problems that Sonos Move users face is by switching the Move off and then waiting for 5 minutes before turning it back on. If the problem you are experiencing is not solved by the above method, you may have to factory reset your Sonos Move speaker.
Table of Contents
- How do you factory reset a Sonos Move?
- Reasons for Factory Resetting Sonos Move Speaker
- Resetting A Sonos Move
- How Is Factory Resetting Sonos Move Different From other Models
- How to Set Up a Sonos Speaker After a Factory Reset
How do you factory reset a Sonos Move?
To factory reset a Sonos Move, turn it off by holding the power button, then press and hold the infinite or pairing button. Observe the speakers’ light as they blink amber and white, but don’t stop pressing the button. Release the button when you see the light blink green as the speaker is now reset.
Knowing the proper steps for resetting not only your Sonos Move but also any other Sonos product is very crucial. If you do not follow the right steps, you may end up damaging the product and not being able to use it again. Factory resetting the Move Speaker will return it to the original state it came in.
Another important thing to note is that resetting your device will delete any user data and settings stored on the device.
After restoring the device, you will have to set it up again according to the way you want to use it. Below we have shared reasons that might lead you to instructions on factory resetting a variety of Sonos products, including the Sonos Move Speaker.
Reasons for Factory Resetting Sonos Move Speaker
Many reasons may lead one to want to restore the factory setting of any of their Sonos speaker products. One of the reasons may be that you want to connect your Sonos speaker to a different Wi-Fi network after moving it.
Also, you may want to give the Sonos device to a buddy hence the need to restore it and erase all your data that may be saved on the device.
Apart from the above reasons, one might also be looking to reset their Sonos device before reselling it or trading it in. Furthermore, one of the reasons, and perhaps the main one, is resetting your Sonos Move speaker because it is not working correctly.
The best part of restoring your devices is that it is relatively simple, and you can do so in a matter of seconds.
For most products, the process will require the user to unplug and plug the device before holding either one or two buttons. However, when undertaking the reset process, we advise users to be careful to avoid damaging their device’s software.
Since most Sonos speakers differ from one another and have different buttons, the steps of how to reset may vary from one speaker to another. Therefore, it is important to use instructions specific to your Sonos device. It does not matter the reason as to why you want to reset your Sonos device; below are some instructions on how to do so for several Sonos products.
Resetting A Sonos Move
Sonos Move is a popular portable speaker system developed by the brand. Below are the steps for how to reset Sonos Move
- First, you must ensure that the Sonos Move speaker is on but not connected to any power source.
- The second step involves the user pressing and holding the power button on the Sonos Move speaker for 5 or more seconds. Doing this will switch off the device.
- Afterward, you should press the infinite icon (also called the pairing button) and plug their devices back into a power source.
- While doing the above step, please ensure that you do not stop pressing and holding the infinite icon until you see the speaker’s lights start flashing amber and white.
- Stop holding the pairing button when the speaker’s lights change and start flashing green. At this point, your Sonos Move speaker has completed the process and is reset to its factory settings.
How Is Factory Resetting Sonos Move Different From other Models
Factory Resetting Sonos Roam
As stated earlier, the factory resetting the Sonos Roam procedure is slightly different from that of a Sonos Move speaker. Here are the exact steps to follow when factory resetting your Sonos Roam portable speaker:
- The first step, similar to resetting a Sonos Move, is to ensure the Sonos Roam speaker is switched on but not plugged into any power source.
- The next step requires the user to hold the device’s button for power for about five seconds (or more). Like for the Move speaker, you are going to turn off the speaker.
- The user then has first to press the Play (which is also the Pause) button and hold it, and as they do so, slightly press and then release the power button, which is located at the rear of their Sonos Roam speaker device.
- The user has to ensure that they continue holding down the Play button. They should notice that the light of the Sonos speaker starts flashing amber and white (just as is the case when resetting the Move speaker).
- Continue holding the button and only release it when the device blinks green. Your Sonos Roam speaker is restored to default factory settings.
Factory Resetting Sonos Play
Before we highlight the step-by-step instructions for restoring the Sonos Play 1 speaker to its factory default settings, you need to understand that the same procedure can be used for the following Sonos speaker; the Sonos Play 3, Sonos Play 5 (the first generation speakers), Sonos connect Amp, Sonos Connect, and Sonos Connect Playbar.
Here is the procedure of how to reset the Sonos Play 1 speaker in seconds:
- Like most other Sonos speaker systems, the user must first disconnect the device from the power source.
- On top of the Sonos Play 1 device is a Play button (also used to Pause); the user should hold it for about 5 seconds. Next, they should connect the device back to a power source.
- Do not release the button as you continue with the procedure. The device should start flashing amber and white. Still, do not release the button.
- Wait until the Sonos Play 1 speaker lights start flashing green and immediately release the Play/Pause button.
- Your Sonos Play 1 speaker is restored to the default factory setting, and all user data is erased.
Factory Resetting Sonos One
This is perhaps one of the most known ways of restoring Sonos speakers to the default factory setting. This is because restoring factory settings on a Sonos One is widely used to restore other Sonos products, especially older devices.
You can use the same process to restore a Sonos One device as well as Sonos Five, Sonos Play 5 (generation 2 devices), Sonos Playbase, Sonos One SL, and Sonos Sub.
Sonos Port and Amp, Sonos Arc, and Sonos Beam also use the same steps. Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to restore settings on the Sonos One speaker system in Seconds:
- Disconnect all devices connected to the Sonos One speaker, then unplug it from any power source.
- You then have to press the connection button (you will find it at the device’s rear). While holding the button, plug the device back into a power source.
- Do not release the button, and you will notice that your Sonos One speaker’s lights will be blinking amber and white for a few seconds.
- You should continue holding the buttons, and the light should change for a few more seconds and start blinking green. When this happens, you should release the button. Your device should now be reset to its default factory setting.
How to Set Up a Sonos Speaker After a Factory Reset
After resetting a Sonos speaker system to its default setting, you should connect it to a power source and follow the steps and instructions in the device’s user manual.
Please ensure you follow the instructions carefully so your device functions as it is intended to.