How To Create An Apple ID Without A Phone Number
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apple IDs are used to sign in to all Apple services and to make purchases in the App Store and Apple Music. They’re essential if you’ve got an Apple device — or two, or three. However, creating an Apple ID without a trusted phone number can prove challenging because Apple’s security measures require two-factor authentication.
While you are researching Apple ID questions, <– bookmark our Apple category and be sure to save these popular topics for further reading: Here’s What Happens If Two iPhones Have The Same Apple ID!, Can’t Remember Your Apple ID Password?, Is It Free To Create An Apple ID?
and Can I Sign Into Apple Music With A Different Apple ID?
To create an Apple ID without a phone number, choose “Didn’t get a verification code” during the signup process and then select “Verify later.” Instead of using a phone number, you’ll be able to verify your account via email and set up two-factor authentication later on.
The most common way to create an Apple ID is on an iOS device, but there are other ways to do it. Let’s look at those methods, how to delete an old Apple ID, and how to use a Gmail account as your Apple ID instead of an iCloud.com address.
Do You Need a Phone Number to Create an Apple ID?
An Apple ID is required to sign in to all Apple services and make purchases from the App Store and Apple Music. But if you don’t have a phone number, there is a short-term workaround for creating an Apple ID without one.
How to Create an Apple ID on a Device That’s Not an iPhone
If you don’t have an iPhone and are trying to set up an Apple ID, you can use an iPad or Mac or create one on the Apple ID website.
Create an Apple ID on an iPad
You can create an Apple ID during the initial setup or later in the Settings app on an iPad.
To create an Apple ID from the Settings app:
- Open Settings.
- Select ‘Sign in to your iPad.’
- On the pop-up, tap ‘Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it.’
- On the resulting pop-up, tap ‘Create Apple ID.’
- Enter your first name, last name, and birthdate.
- On the Email Address pop-up, tap ‘Don’t have an email address.’
- Tap ‘Get an iCloud Email Address.’
- Enter the new email address you want to use for your Apple ID account.
- Tap ‘Create Email Address.’
- Enter the password you want to use for your new Apple ID.
The next screen will prompt you to enter a phone number. You will need to enter a phone number, but you can continue setup without verifying it:
- Enter a phone number and tap ‘Next.’
- On the Verification Code screen, tap ‘Didn’t get a verification code.’
- On the pop-up screen, tap ‘Verify Later.’
- On the Continue Without Verified Phone Number pop-up, click ‘Continue.’
- Click ‘Agree on the Terms and Conditions.’
You can now use your new Apple ID to sign in to iCloud, the App Store, Apple Music, and other Apple services. However, your first sign-in will prompt you to set up your Apple ID.
Click ‘Review‘ and follow the prompts to add a payment method, add a Rescue Email, and set up two-factor authentication.
Create an Apple ID on a Mac
To set up an Apple ID on a Mac in System Preferences:
- Open System Preferences and Sign In.
- Click ‘Create Apple ID.’
- Follow the prompts to enter your first and last name, email address, and password. The email address entered will be your Apple ID.
- Enter your credit card details, or select ‘None.’
- Enter your billing address.
Apple will send a verification email to the email address you entered. After verifying your email, you can use your new Apple ID to sign in to iCloud, the App Store, Apple Music, and other Apple services.
Create an Apple ID Online
You can also create an Apple ID from any device on the Apple ID website:
Visit appleid.apple.com and click ‘Create Your Apple ID.’
- Enter your name, birth date, and email address.
- Enter your first and last name, country or region, and date of birth.
- Enter the email address you’ll use as your Apple ID along with a password.
- Enter your phone number and complete the captcha to continue.
Apple will send a verification code to your new Apple ID email account. Once you enter the verification code, you can use your new Apple ID to sign in to any Apple service.
You can also use this process to create an iCloud.com account by clicking ‘Create your free Apple ID and get started today‘ at the top of the page.
Apple ID Articles To Read
- Is It Free To Create An Apple ID? [Explained!]
- Can’t Remember Your Apple ID Password?
- Does Your Apple ID Have to Be an Email Address?
- How To Create An Apple ID Without A Phone Number
- How To Change Siri’s Name: 3 Ways To Customize Your Siri
- Here’s What Happens If Two IPhones Have The Same Apple ID!
- How To Get Apps On iPhone Without An Apple ID
Can You Delete an Old Apple ID and Make a New One?
Yes, you can delete your old Apple ID and create a new one. However, you cannot use the same email address for your new Apple ID, and you will lose any content stored in iCloud and access to all Apple services.
Instead, you can temporarily deactivate your account, which revokes access to Apple services. There is also the option to change the email address for your Apple ID.
Can You Use a Gmail Account for Your Apple ID?
Yes, your Apple ID does not have to be an iCloud.com address. You can use Gmail, Yahoo, or any other third-party email service for your Apple ID.