Speakers come in many different forms and sizes. Some outdoor speakers even resemble backyard boulders.Rock speakers are unique in that they blend in with the surrounding outdoor environment.
Summertime offers many opportunities for outdoor gatherings, as it’s the most popular time for barbecues and poolside gatherings. When outdoor activities are in full swing, the atmosphere doesn’t feel complete without the rich sound reverberating from beautifully camouflaged outdoor speakers.
In this article, we cover 5 outdoor rock speakers you should consider for your backyard decor.
Table of Contents
- Alpine Waterproof Bluetooth Solar-Powered
- Theater Solutions 2R8G Speaker Set
- Theater Solutions B43GR Speaker Set
- Theater Solutions by Goldwood B63GR Set
- Theater Solutions RK6GBT Granite Grey Set
5 Best Outdoor Rock Speakers
Rock speakers are all-weather speakers. They are engineered to withstand the temperamental nature of outdoor elements and still provide hi-fi sound.
There are different sizes and price ranges of these audio rocks. What you get mainly depends on the size of your outdoor poolside, patio, or backyard.
If you own a small backyard or patio, use a rock speaker with a 5.25-inch woofer. Medium-sized spaces can enjoy the rich sound from a 6.5-inch woofer. More extensive yards might need 8-inch woofers with lots of juice.
Let’s take a look at the 5 best options.
Alpine Corporation is one of the leaders in innovative technology products. It also designs, imports, and distributes home and outdoor décor pieces.
Alpine’s solar-powered wireless rock speakers are a testament to the company’s innovative ways. This contemporary pair of rock speakers is fully solar-powered and Bluetooth-operated.
Simply place the speakers in your garden, patio, yard, treehouse, cabin, or anywhere you want to go! The sculpted rock appearance is very convincing. It stands out with style while still looking cohesive with the outside landscape.
- To charge the Alpine Bluetooth speakers, simply place them out in the yard and let the sun power them up. It will still charge on cloudy days if you place it outside.
- A fully charged speaker battery will deliver quality sound for 8 more hours after the sun goes down.
- The battery is rechargeable via a micro USB cable (included) in case the charge runs out at night.
- Any Bluetooth device can stream music with a set of Alpine speakers, including smartphones, laptops, and tablets.
- The Bluetooth range can provide high-quality audio up to 50 feet away from the speaker.
- The wireless speakers can be paired via Bluetooth and stay connected up to 25 feet apart from each other.
- They are safe to leave in your yard since they are splash-proof and made with a durable outer resin shell.
- This set of speakers is skillfully sculpted to look exactly like real rocks. It will be inconspicuous next to a flower bed lined with rocks.
- They are solar-powered, so there is no need to run an extension cord across your yard.
- This set of speakers is weather-proof.
- The battery lasts 8 hours at night and is rechargeable, enabling long listening sessions.
- Resin provides durable construction.
- On a cloudy day, the solar charging capacity is diminished. It will take longer for the battery to reach a full charge.
- This set of speakers doesn’t have a low bass, but that’s reasonable for a speaker this size.
Theater Solutions by Goldwood has been providing homes with devices that sound as close as possible to movie theaters since 1991. Their specialty is indoor and outdoor speakers alongside multimedia home systems.
The rock speakers provide sufficient sound for settings in patios, outside decks, gardens, sunrooms, and other landscapes.
The granite finish of the 2R8G rock speakers effortlessly mimics real rocks. Theater Solutions is known for providing high-quality sound systems, and this wireless speaker set is no exception.
- The sound driver is angled upwards to direct the quality sound to listeners’ ears when speakers are placed on the ground.
- 2R8G is a set of passive speakers.
- The faux rock speakers are made of rubber, hi-tech plastics, and sealed with silicon.
- The speakers are proofed against water, snow, ice, pool chemicals, temperatures up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The speaker cabinets are secured with silicon and rust-proof grills.
- Each speaker contains an 8-inch poly mica cone woofer with a butyl rubber surround and a sealed voice coil.
- Soft dome tweeters cooled with ferrofluid provide clear, bright sounds and deep bass.
- The frequency range is 50Hz-20 kHz with a 97dB sensitivity at 8 ohms.
- It features 250W RMS and a peak power of 500 watts.
- Product dimensions: H x W x D 13.5 × 12 × 12 Inches
- These speakers feature an aesthetically pleasing, realistic granite finish.
- They are available in small, medium, and large sizes to accommodate your yard size and volume desires. The driver sizes are 5.25, 6.5, and 8 inches respectively.
- It is massively powerful at 250W RMS.
- The wide frequency ranges from 50Hz-20 kHz.
- The speakers may pack a punch, but too much volume may blow out the woofer.
- This set of passive speakers requires a different source of amplification.
B43GR is a unique-looking set of slate gray, finishing wireless rock speakers. The outdoor system is powerful with 120W combined speaker power.
The Bluetooth rock set comes packed with exceptional features. In your outdoor setting, the B43GR looks like two boulders vibing and making an excellent sound.
- The set of speakers has the subdued color of real, decorative rock. If gray rocks are already part of your yard decor, they will blend in seamlessly.
- The whole setup is powered by Bluetooth, so there is no need for speaker wires. Stream music directly from your phone or PC.
- You can pair the first speaker to another B43GR via Bluetooth and then connect to as many as 99 other B43GR speakers.
- These speakers are powered by a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. The battery takes 7 hours to charge fully and provides playtime of 6 hours at a standard volume level.
- It is available in a variety of colors, such as a sandstone brown finish and granite finish.
- The equipment is suitable for patios, gardens, spas, yard karaoke, and poolsides.
- The package contains a set of the world’s most realistic-looking rock speakers, a manual, and a micro USB.
- The speakers are discreet.
- The impressive Bluetooth technology is capable of linking up to 99 speakers,
- While weatherproof, still try to cover the speakers or provide shelter in torrential weather.
- The sound is vibrant and rich.
- The only indication of the charge level is the charge time.
- 6 hours of unplugged play isn’t as long for listening enjoyment as other options.
Here we have another Slate Gray Theater Solution rock speaker set of 2 making it onto this list.
Like the B43GR, you first have to pair it with a twin speaker and then link up to 99 other B63GR speakers.
The rechargeable Bluetooth system transmits excellent sound at 200W power. Use the speakers for a small gathering outdoors in the yard, patio, poolside party, or karaoke.
- Magnificent 6.5-inch angled woofers made with polypropylene and surround by butyl rubber enhance the sound.
- It has a wide frequency range of 30Hz-20 kHz with 90dB sensitivity at 8 ohms.
- Each wireless speaker has a rechargeable battery of 100W.
- Battery charge time is 7 hours and provides 6 hours of playtime at regular volumes.
- The convincing faux rock look blends into the landscape, thanks to the slate gray color.
- The completely wireless system allows you to stream music directly from any Bluetooth audio streaming device.
- The woofers are angled upwards to direct sound to the listeners rather than the ground.
- The slate gray multi-layer cabinet is made of composite material sealed with silicon and rust-resistant grills.
- Product dimensions: H x W x D -11.42 × 12.6 × 9.84 inches
- The Bluetooth connectivity is excellent and eliminates any need for wires.
- The good sound (despite spotty midrange bass) is excellent.
- It is weather-proof and well-suited to life outdoors.
- The design and appearance make for winning factors for this set of speakers.
- Previous customers warn that it is not high-fidelity sound.
- The limited battery life suffers when the speakers are unplugged.
A few rock speakers later, Theater Solutions seem to have nailed it with the RK6GBT model. It offers the best value for money with a lot of power and good sound quality.
The rock cabinets are engineered to withstand a lot of inclement weather and anything else mother nature throws their way. The set is sold in pairs in a gray color, which fits seamlessly with outdoor landscapes.
It is available in three sizes: 4.5, 6.5, and 8-inches woofers. There are also two installation options:
First, you can stream your music via Bluetooth or wire the speakers to your house audio receiver by plugging in the parent speaker to a wall outlet. Then connect the parent and child speakers using a CL3 wire.
Alternatively, you can connect the parent speaker to the home audio receiver using a CL3 wire.
- The gray cabinets are made of multi-layered composite materials and sealed with silicon.
- They have rust-resistant grills to withstand the effects of moisture outdoors.
- These are weatherproofed against chemicals, salt, rain, pool water, and snow.
- The woofer is 6 5-inch polypropylene with butyl rubber surround sound.
- The speakers are angled at 20 degrees upwards to direct the sound to people.
- The parent speaker is 100 watts.
- The frequency coverage is 60hz-20 kHz with a sensitivity of 89dB at 8 ohms.
- Unlike its Bluetooth counterparts, this set is wired, and you have to use a ground power plug of 110V.
- They are compatible with Bluetooth devices and capable of streaming audio.
- Product dimensions: H x W x D 9 75 × 12 5 × 10 75 inches
- The realistic-looking rock color and texture match a typical outdoor background.
- The big speakers deliver powerful low bass and clear highs.
- It is rated IP67 for full protection against water and dust.
- The speakers are water-resistant and weather-proof, therefore lasting longer than other speakers.
- Volume control is limited.
- The Bluetooth connectivity range is limited to 25 feet.
FAQs About Outdoor Rock Speakers
What are the advantages of outdoor rock speakers?
Rock speakers provide a discreet outdoor entertainment solution. After working so hard on your ideal landscape, it is a bonus when your music system matches the yard decòr.
If you’d rather not be distracted from the garden aesthetic, stash it behind the flower bed or amongst your stone arrangements.
Rock speakers come carefully engineered to withstand the elements in the summer or winter. Speaker cabinets are incredibly thick and solid. This construction protectively envelopes the woofer from damage by drink spills, pool water splashes, and pool chemicals.
In as much as rock speakers are weather-proofed, some components can freeze in extreme temperatures. If you’re anticipating a blizzard, cover your outdoor rock speaker or keep it in a garage.
How many rock speakers do I need for my patio to entertain my guests without being a nuisance to my neighbors?
When it comes to calculating the appropriate number of outdoor speakers, whether they are rock speakers or not, it boils down to the size of the yard.
If the outdoor setup is small, like a patio or a picnic table, a set of two speakers provides plenty of sound projection.
Tip: Do not place your pair of speakers too far apart. If you do, you will not hear the rest of the sound from certain angles. The ideal placement is at most 12 feet apart.
If, on the other hand, you have a gigantic yard, decide on the areas you want to fill with sound and divide those areas into zones.
For example, you could designate a barbecue zone, patio zone, and pool zone. Each of these zones will benefit from rock speakers conforming to the general aesthetic.
It is okay to mix different types of speakers so long as they are all connected properly. Some zones may need more powerful speakers or a more waterproofed set than others. It will all depend on your individual needs and preferences.
How do I connect my Bluetooth streaming device to the rock speaker?
For most speakers, ensure that you charge it first after unwrapping the package. Once the speaker is on, tap on the Bluetooth button to enter Bluetooth mode.
This does not apply to rock speakers that connect automatically to your audio streaming device.
Once the Bluetooth mode is on, locate your speakers in your streaming device’s audio settings. Select it to pair. Once the pairing is successful, you will hear some confirmation tones, and you can start your listening session.
How far can the Bluetooth connection go?
The average range of Bluetooth connections is between 25 and 60 feet between an unobstructed and stationary streaming device.
The streaming device should not be in a pocket or covered by a cloth in any way. If any of these requirements are not met, then the Bluetooth range can be shorter.
Sometimes the range is also determined by the Bluetooth system of the sound source.
Placement will affect the Bluetooth range. Where have you placed your rock speakers? Is it sunk a few inches deep into the dirt or raised off the ground? This will greatly impact your listening experience.
Most rock speakers will emit a tone when it’s out of range or simply stop playing music. Re-entering the connection zone will usually automatically re-pair it to the audio device.
Is it safe to get my rock speakers wet? What if the sprinklers hit the speaker or water splashes from the pool?
Outdoor rock speaker installations are engineered to withstand the test of time and weather. A splash or sprinkle of water is one of these considerations.
However, there are times when accidents occur, such as in the event of an accidental submersion or extreme spill. Thankfully, these accidents generally do not affect the performance of the speakers.
However, outdoor rock speakers in this list are not underwater speakers. They will not survive a prolonged submersion underwater. These kinds of speakers are referred to as water-resistant, not to be confused with waterproof.
The garden sprinkler system waters gardens at various intervals. If you left your outdoor rock speaker outside, it should be immune to the alternating spray of water. We do not advise placing the rock speakers in the direct path of the water jet, though.
Note: Prolonged exposure to pool water is harmful to outdoor rock speakers because of the chemical components of the water.
Chlorine solvents pose a significant risk to the advanced materials used to seal the woofers. It is also harsh on plastics. However, rest assured that periodic or occasional exposure to water containing these chemicals is nothing to worry about.
Conclusion on Outdoor Rock Speakers
There are a lot of great options when it comes to high-quality outdoor speakers. Each home and backyard is unique, so choosing the right outdoor rock speaker will be a matter of picking the one that best suits your needs and desires.
As you look through this review, one of the 5 best all-weather outdoor speakers is sure to meet your needs! Be sure to check out our other product reviews to help you with various purchasing decisions.